+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Now What?!

Junior Member cathyh is infamous around these parts

Now What?!

After repoting my Gardenia Bonsai... Ive noticed that there is white fuzzy stuff growing up its trunk. Is this normal?? Is it mold? Someone told me it might be spores. Did I kill my tree? I also noticed that I watered the tree once... after I repotted it... and now the soil hasnt needed watered since. (I used MiracleGrow Moisture Control) Is this normal?

Administrator Sayuri has disabled reputation

Now What?!

Cathyh I think mold usually grows on the surface of the dirt first if it is that. Do you have draining holes in your pot? Good air ventilation? According to the specifications I read about miracle grow moisture control overwatering should not be possible even :blink: Very strange....

Junior Member cathyh is infamous around these parts

Now What?!

Yes, I repotted it in its original pot. It has draining holes..... I had it on my enclosed porch tho, because it is hotter on the porch.... I moved it outside because if it was mold I didnt want it spreading to the house.... and it seems like its slowly going away *knock on wood* Do you think it will be ok?

Super Moderator mikey012076 has disabled reputation mikey012076's Avatar

Re:Now What?!

cathyh wrote:
    Yes, I repotted it in its original pot. It has draining holes..... I had it on my enclosed porch tho, because it is hotter on the porch.... I moved it outside because if it was mold I didnt want it spreading to the house.... and it seems like its slowly going away *knock on wood* Do you think it will be ok?
    Hi cathyh I wish I had a photo of what it looked like, but if you can't get a photo that is ok too, by what it sounds like it mite be is bugs becouse you just repotted it and mold does not grow that fast, it could have been bugs left on the tree before you repotted it , look under leaves and in the V parts of you tree and on branches to see if there is more white fizzy stuff, and if there is then it is Mealy bugs you can kill them this is how.
    Swab off the white cotton with an alcohol soaked cloth and wipe the whole plant carefully. Mist regularly with a mild soapy solution (do not use a soap that contains a detergent) and wash if necessary on a weekly basis. For severe infestations, a systemic spray would be most effective as it penetrates the mealy bugs waxy coating.
    As for the MiracleGrow Moisture Control, it will take some time before it need to be watered again, remember if it is dry on top it does not mean that it is by the roots, so dig a finger in there and see if it is wet, it is better more dry then to wet, let it get some sun and some out side air it will love it, put on the west side of the house hope this helps.

Mike....:O)

Sorry fuzzy stuff, also if it is mold you can Mist regularly with a mild soapy solution it will also help with mold but not to much so you do not soke the dirt with it.

It does not really sound like a serious problem (meaning 'life-threatening' for the tree) to me, am I right, Mikey?

Sayuri wrote:
    It does not really sound like a serious problem (meaning 'life-threatening' for the tree) to me, am I right, Mikey?
    No it is nothing that can't be fixed, with a little cleaning, love and time.

Yes, the love part. I forgot. My grandmother used to talk to her plants. They were the most beautiful growing plants of our whole family, so I think maybe love does have a place between knowledge of how to take care of it

Member mksee_66 is infamous around these parts mksee_66's Avatar

Sayuri wrote:
    Yes, the love part. I forgot. My grandmother used to talk to her plants. They were the most beautiful growing plants of our whole family, so I think maybe love does have a place between knowledge of how to take care of it
    lol! somethings are impossible to explain..

mikey012076 wrote:
    Sorry fuzzy stuff, also if it is mold you can Mist regularly with a mild soapy solution it will also help with mold but not to much so you do not soke the dirt with it.
    I just moved into a house with a mulberry tree that I just noticed has a fuzzy white fungus (?) spreading up it & everything that's been covered by it is now dead. (all this took place in just a few days) Would the soapy water still do the trick, or do I have to use different things for different trees? I could probably get a pic of it to post if neccesary, but it seems that it's already been determined to be some sort of fungus.

+ Reply to Thread